Thor: The Dark World Review

When I saw the first Thor movie about three years ago (just so I could be caught up to speed when I watched the Avengers) I felt it lacked something the other Marvel films to that point didn't. Now, after seeing Thor 2, I know what that is: a natural feel.

I saw Thor 2 in, like, November but I still remember most of it. Thor (Chris Hemsworth) has now returned to Asgard to defeat generic forces of evil that are invading the Nine Realms. In the mean time, Loki (Tom Hiddleston) is being held in a cell on Asgard for the invasion of Earth, which has now been almost 2 years. But that's not even how the movie begins; it begins with a long, and cool looking, prologue talking about, and showing, Malekith the Accursed (Christopher Eccleston), a Dark Elf who wants to cover the universe in darkness so his race can be the supreme rulers again. And to defeat this villain, Thor seeks out Loki's help since Odin (Anthony Hopkins) has closed off Asgard and now only Loki knows a way out of Asgard so they can stop Malekith.

Sounds cool right? Well, let's start off with the good in it (Just letting you know what kind of review you're getting into): Tom Hiddleston as Loki will always be awesome, the visuals are pretty good, it's actually pretty hilarious, and we get to see Thor beating up stuff with a hammer.  It also has the best ending out of all the Marvel: Stage 2 movies so far.  You'd think with that behind it, it wouldn't be so bad.  And if that was all that was in it, it wouldn't be.

Though they had the potential for a simple, fun movie, Marvel decided to overcoat it with a series of complicated sub-plots to go along with it; these include some powerful red liquid-ish thing and something about the aligning of the realms? And I'm pretty sure they copied off the Portal video games; I don't know, I tuned out half-way through this movie.

Also, I don't know if I saw this in a weird video quality or what, but not once but TWICE the CGI looked like it was something out of my Force Unleashed II video game.  And many other times the CGI didn't look all that top notch. Since I'm really ADHD, it's little details like that that keep me from enjoying the movie. We also have crappy chemistry between Thor and Loki, some weird romance with Natalie Portman's assistant and some other guy we're barely introduced to, and a disappointing end credits scene after a far more interesting mid-credits scene.

I've gotta take a few seconds to touch on the villain; Marvel seems to be developing an unhealthy trend with a slew of uninteresting villains.  Now, don't get me wrong, I have no qualms whatsoever with Christopher Eccleston playing a powerful, blood thirsty Dark Elf; the problem is that we had little-to-no time to get to know the villain and so, that aspect of the movie suffered, despite Eccleston giving it his best at the role.  On top of that, he has the most uninteresting motivation ever: conquer the universe.  That, coupled with the fact that 90% of the dialogue he said that could've been cool was in Elvish (yeah, I'm not kidding), made Malekith the Accused something a villain should never be: generic.


Final synopsis: This movie did have some good moments but not enough for me to call it good.  It also had some bad stuff, too, though not enough for me to say it's bad.  It's an ok movie to watch but not exactly one you're gonna watch if you're looking for something really good.  If you're confused half-way through, don't worry, it's perfectly normal.

Score: 5/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bumblebee Review

What Movies Are We Gonna Make?

If Batman: Arkham Knight Was Good