Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief Book Review

Back in 2010, one of my friends handed me a book. I'd seen it once or twice on the school shelves but had never picked it up. I flipped to the table of contents and looked at the first chapter. "I Accidentally Vaporize My Pre-Algebra Teacher" was not what I expected but it's what I got. Little did I know I held in my hands a book I should've read eons before.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief was the first in a line of five books that I will consider the greatest teen novels of all time until the day I die. The plot centers around Percy Jackson, an ADHD, dyslexic twelve-year old who discovers he is part of a world of mythical gods and legendary monsters. And, after discovering his unique heritage, must find the legendary Master Bolt of Zeus, the king of Olympus. If he, and two friends, don't find it before summer solstice (don't ask, just read), the end of the world is nye.

I've often heard this franchise accused of being a Harry Potter knock-off. Are the movies? Absolutely. Are the books? Not at all. This book lays before you a unique and creative world of Greek mythology in modern times. The way that the gods and Greek mythology locations travel through Western Civilization is clever and cleverly explained; where they end up in America are also cleverly placed and explained.

Now to the characters; there isn't a single character that someone can't relate to in this book. You've got Percy, who's smart, sarcastic, if a bit slow. Because of his ADHD and dyslexia, which Rick Riordan uses to his advantage, he's even more relatable to those with mental disabilities. His best friend, Grover, is a loyal, silly and nervous satyr, who was sent into Percy's middle school to protect him from monsters. On the quest, he serves as a translator for animals (again, don't ask, just read) and, of course, comic relief (which he's very good at). And then there's Annabeth, who's their strategist, intellectual, and Percy's confidant. Throughout the novel, you see her go back and forth with Percy in bits of witty dialogue, share heartfelt moments with him and even grows as a character through his advice.

There are also great side characters that you either love or love to hate. And, the villain that you find out about at the end is just plain cool.

Synopsis: With a plethora of great characters, a great plot line and plenty of twists and intrigue to keep you engaged until the very last page, The Lightening Thief is yet another great book with a reputation stained by its horrid film adaptation. Don't let that fool you, though. This is a true classic of epic, action-packed, hilarious fun.

Score: 10/10

Note: Sorry about this sloppy review. It's my first book review so I didn't know what to do without spoiling too much. I really do recommend this book even though this review is terrible. I'll try to improve. Thanks for reading

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bumblebee Review

What Movies Are We Gonna Make?

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Review