Cowboy Bebop: The Ballad of Fallen Angels

Really? That's what I waited for?

I am now convinced that Cowboy Bebop, praised as nothing less than the anime second coming, is one of the most overrated TV shows of all time. Throughout these five episodes, I don't feel like I've gotten to know these characters at all and now I've come to the episode that the fans call a transcendent experience.

This episode finds Spike confronted with a previously unknown, but hinted at, tragic past. Nothing really happens until the end of the episode except Spike getting ready for the climax and poorly trying to make us care about something that wasn't even built up in previous episodes. What happens in the climax is next to nothing interesting; a lot of over the top gun fighting with no further explanation as to what exactly Spike is fighting for so there's no emotional weight to any of the violence. The bad guy is unbelievably boring, so there's not even that to enjoy.

I don't understand how people can find an obviously emotionally shallow show engaging. To show why this show doesn't work I'm going to compare it to a similar space Western: Firefly. In Firefly, none of the characters were given proper backstories except Mal, but we still understood where each of them fit in on the crew. We got a sense of their strong personalities and camaraderie for one another, even if they did anger each other at times. We got the feeling that these people had history together, like they'd been to hell and back as one. I felt nothing like that on Cowboy Bebop. The characters are shallow, they have no strong personalities and the dialogue is poorly written/translated.

I think between this, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Naruto and Deathnote I am done trying to get into anime. Sorry anime-niacs. It's just not for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bumblebee Review

What Movies Are We Gonna Make?

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Review