I'm Worried About Spiderman: Homecoming

Recently, there was huge news for the upcoming superhero film Spiderman Homecoming: 19-year-old actress Zendaya has been cast as Mary Jane Watson. I need to stress that this isn't the first thing that made me worried for the new Spider-Man movie, but it is the tipping point that has started making me deathly nervous about its quality.

My worries started when I heard about who was heading the project: director Jon Watts, whose only other notable directing credits are a mediocre Kevin Bacon movie called Cop Car and a couple of episodes of the comedy series The Onion News Network. The second aspect that caught my eye was the film's writers. Firstly, there are six of them, which makes me nervous because that's one story stretched between six people, all of whom probably have their own ideas of how it should be. Secondly, more than half of them are comedy writers with credits on American Dad, Community, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and Horrible Bosses.

Notice anything about those writers? They're all comedy writers writing a Spider-Man movie. Even though Spider-Man is famous for cracking jokes, his fundamental character is not comedic. He's really more of a dramatic character, with many of his stories focusing on friendship dynamics and tragic tales of guilt. Heck, his entire motivation for becoming Spider-Man was the murder of his uncle by a man he refused to stop. Does this sound like a character that belongs in the hands of comedy writers to you?

With all of that said, maybe the Marvel higher-ups see something I just don't. They haven't been messing around so far, finding top talent behind as well as in front of the camera, and Spider-Man is one of their most popular characters. I'm really hoping that Homecoming is good and I'm just crossing my fingers that Marvel knows what they're doing.

PS: Could the writers please find something for Mary Jane to do in this movie. In the last set of movies she was just Spider-Man arm candy and that's all she's really ever been. Can't we be bothered to give the most famous girl next door a better role than damsel in distress for once?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bumblebee Review

What Movies Are We Gonna Make?

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Review