Why You Should Be As Excited for Episode 8 as I Am

So according to my blog's view counter, nobody wants to hear about The Seventh Seal, one of the greatest movies of all time. Fine then! I'll talk about what you wanna hear: Star Wars.

I just watched Star Wars: The Force Awakens for the fourth time and, upon this viewing, I did accept in my heart of hearts that the film isn't perfect. There are some flimsy character motivations and recycled plot points, but I'll get into that in a later review, if you want.

However, not only is the film good, it has the potential to be spectacular. I believe that Episode 8 will make full use of this potential and more. Here's why:

Enter Rian Johnson, the writer and director of Star Wars Episode 8. Since a majority of you probably don't know who this man is, I will inform you. In 2012, Johnson released his first feature film Looper, a sci-fi action drama that will get its own review soon enough. What I will say, however, is that the film was fantastic, one of the most refreshingly original sci-fis in the past decade. What made it so great was not just the concept, but the character depth and motivation that Rian Johnson put into this characters.

The Force Awakens was held back by underdeveloped characters and poor motivation. Rian Johnson now has the power, and writing skills, to flesh out these characters and give them really engaging struggles. A pile of endless potential has been placed into his creative hands and I believe that he will do wonders with the universe of Star Wars.

(If you've never seen Looper check it out. It's one of a kind.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bumblebee Review

What Movies Are We Gonna Make?

If Batman: Arkham Knight Was Good